Physical health conditions
The following selected resources can be used to inform prevention, detection, treatment and management of long-term health conditions. Includes sections: 'Overview'; 'Cardiovascular disease' (including diabetes); 'Cancer'; 'Respiratory disease'; 'Musculoskeletal conditions'; 'Incontinence'; and communication-related conditons: 'Sight loss'; 'Hearing loss'; 'Oral & dental health'; and 'Speech difficulties'.
- Long term conditions published by NHS England (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- Advice about your condition and coronavirus guidance provided by key third sector organisations linked from the NHS website (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- In Focus: Experiences of having a physical health problem (2020) – published by Independent Age
- The health and social care costs of a selection of health conditions and multi-morbidities (2020) published by Public Health England in collaboration with Imperial College London and the UK Health Forum
- Health Profile for England: 2019 published by Public Health England provides an overview of trends in mortality, morbidity and risk factors
- NHS Long Term Plan (2019) published by NHS England (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- Global Burden of Diseases (GBD) data visualisation tool - international comparative data down to England local authority level by age group, including 50-69 and 70+, sex and year, showing the relative contributions of risks to and causes of death and disability, published by the University of Washington based on international collaboration. The Lancet GBD Resource Centre provides accompanying papers and infographics.
- Steel et al (2018). Changes in health in the countries of the UK and 150 English Local Authority areas 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016, The Lancet, vol392, issue10158, pp1647-1661
- Projecting Older People Population Information (POPPI) System - includes older age group estimates and projections by health condition at national, regional and local authority level. Published by Oxford Brookes University and the Institute of Public Care.
- Projecting Adult Needs & Service Information (PANSI) for ages 18-64 - includes age groups 45-54 and 55-64 estimates and projections by selected health condition at national, regional and local authority level. Published as above.
- Local Health - comparative data down to small area level - electoral ward and MSOA - published by Public Health England
- National General Practice Profiles published by Public Health England
- GP Patient Survey results - reports and analysis tool published by NHS England
- Hospital Episode statistics (HES) including A&E and admissions data published by NHS Digital (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- Frailty resources published by NHS England
- Deaths registered in England & Wales published by the Office for National Statistics. Annual statistical bulletin and links to various annual datasets.
- Mortality statistics - underlying cause, sex and age - data interrogation tool published by the Office for National Statistics
- All data related to causes of death published by the Office for National Statistics
- See also the Healthy & risk behaviours section
- See also the Early interventions section
- See also the Multi-morbidity & frailty section
- See also the Inequalities - Disabilities section
Oral & dental health