Physical health conditions
The following selected resources can be used to inform prevention, detection, treatment and management of long-term health conditions. Includes sections: 'Overview'; 'Cardiovascular disease' (including diabetes); 'Cancer'; 'Respiratory disease'; 'Musculoskeletal conditions'; 'Incontinence'; and communication-related conditons: 'Sight loss'; 'Hearing loss'; 'Oral & dental health'; and 'Speech difficulties'.
- Advice about your condition and coronavirus guidance provided by key third sector organisations linked from the NHS website (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- Long term conditions published by NHS England (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- In Focus: Experiences of having a physical health problem (2020) – published by Independent Age
- NHS Long Term Plan (2019) published by NHS England (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- Health Profile for England: 2018 published by Public Health England provides an overview of trends in mortality, morbidity and risk factors
- Global Burden of Diseases data visualisation tool - international comparative data down to England local authority level and by age group published by the University of Washington.
- Steel et al (2018). Changes in health in the countries of the UK and 150 English Local Authority areas 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016, The Lancet, vol392, issue10158, pp1647-1661
- Projecting Older People Population Information (POPPI) System - includes older age group estimates and projections by health condition at national, regional and local authority level. Published by Oxford Brookes University and the Institute of Public Care.
- Projecting Adult Needs & Service Information (PANSI) for ages 18-64 - includes age groups 45-54 and 55-64 estimates and projections by selected health condition at national, regional and local authority level. Published as above.
- Local Health - comparative data down to small area level - electoral ward and MSOA - published by Public Health England
- National General Practice Profiles published by Public Health England
- GP Patient Survey results - reports and analysis tool published by NHS England
- Hospital Episode statistics (HES) including A&E and admissions data published by NHS Digital (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in an alternative browser)
- Frailty resources published by NHS England
- Deaths registered in England & Wales published by the Office for National Statistics. Annual statistical bulletin and links to various annual datasets.
- Mortality statistics - underlying cause, sex and age - data interrogation tool published by the Office for National Statistics
- All data related to causes of death published by the Office for National Statistics
- See also the Healthy & risk behaviours section
- See also the Early interventions section
- See also the Multi-morbidity & frailty section
- See also the Inequalities - Disabilities section
Oral & dental health