The following selected resources can be used to provide insight into and support reduction in ageing inequalities. Includes sections: 'Overview'; 'Disabilities'; 'Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic (BAME)'; and 'Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT)'.
- COVID-19: public health - 'Health Inequalities' - resources including 'data tools' to support local areas'. A collaboration between Public Health England, the Local Government Association, Association of Directors of Public Health, NHS England & NHS Improvement.
- COVID-19: review of disparities in risks and outcomes (2020) report and accompanying data pack published by Public Health England
- Mitigating the wider health effects of covid-19 pandemic response (Douglas,M. et al, 2020) published in the Lancet. Includes a data supplement. (May need to right-click, copy & paste links in a different browser).
- Inequalities in later life published by the Centre for Ageing Better
- Health Equity - collection of resources published by Public Health England
- Inequality Tools published by Public Health England. Use the 'Segment Tool' to explore the contributions of different causes of death & age groups to inequalities in life expectancy.
- Socioeconomic inequalities in avoidable mortality: England analysis – annual analysis published by the Office for National Statistics
- Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) Health and Wellbeing Alliance - "a partnership between voluntary sectors and the health and care system to provide a voice and improve the health and wellbeing for all communities" (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in a different browser)
- In Focus: Experiences of Older Age in England (2020) - report and further resources focussing on the experiences of specific groups of older people (low income, BAME, carers, without children, physical health, mental health) published by Independent Age
- Health Equity in England: The Marmot Review 10 Years On (2020) published by the Health Foundation
- Health inequalities in ageing in rural and coastal areas (2019) - an evidence summary published by Public Health England
- Health inequalities: place-based approaches to reduce inequalities (2019) - guidance published by Public Health England
- A different age: A snapshot of diverse later lives (2019) published by the International Longevity Centre UK
- Health Matters: Ambitions to tackle persisting inequalities in cardiovascular disease (2019) published by Public Health England
- Health Profile for England:2019 - includes chapter on inequalities in health published by Public Health England
- Palliative and end of life care: hospital deaths 2006 to 2017 (2019) published by Public Health England
- Deaths in people aged 75 years and older in England in 2017 (2019) published by Public Health England
- PHE Screening’s inequalities strategy (2018) published by Public Health England
- Inequalities Matter (2018) published by the International Longevity Centre UK
- Guidance - Health inequalities: reducing inequalities in local areas (2017) published by Public Health England
- Inequalities in later life: The issue and the implications for policy and practice (2017) published by the Centre for Ageing Better
- See also the Employment further resources section
- See also the Carers further resources section
Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- COVID-19: understanding the impact on BAME communities (2020) published by Public Health England
- Ethnicity facts and figures - including data on various health topics and wider determinants of health published by the Race Disparity Unit
- UK population by ethnicity - data based on the 2011 census published by the Office for National Statistics. Includes national and regional populations, with age breakdowns provided for England and Wales. ONS has produced later year modelled estimates by age and sex and down to local authority level but with strong caveats regarding use - see publications below.
- NHS Race and Health Observatory - announcement May 2020 of the creation of a new research centre to investigate the impact of race and ethnicity on people’s health, to be hosted by the NHS Confederation (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in a different browser)
- Race Disparity Unit - part of the Cabinet Office with a role to "collect, analyse and publish government data on the experiences of people from different ethnic backgrounds" and "support government departments in driving change where disparities are found".
- Race Equality Foundation - "seek to explore discrimination and disadvantage, and use that knowledge to help overcome barriers and promote race equality in health, housing and social care"
- Population denominators by broad ethnic group and for White British, local authorities in England and Wales: 2011 to 2019 (2020) including by single age and sex published by the Office for National Statistics - but note caveats in the 'supporting information' document
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) related deaths by ethnic group, England and Wales: 2 March 2020 to 10 April 2020 (2020) published by the Office for National Statistics
- Ethnicity and COVID-19: an urgent public health research priority (Pareek, M. et al, 2020) - correspondence published in the Lancet
- In Focus: Experiences of BAME older people (2020) published by Independent Age
- Research report on population estimates by ethnic group and religion (2019) published by the Office for National Statistics
- Population denominators by ethnic group, regions and countries: England and Wales, 2011 to 2018 (2018) - including by single age and sex published by the Office for National Statistics - but note caveats in the 'supporting information' document
- Guidance - Health inequalities: reducing ethnic inequalities (2018) published by Public Health England
- Dementia and black and minority ethnic carers (2018) published by the Race Equality Foundation
- Dementia and end of life care for black, Asian and minority ethnic communities (2018) published by the Race Equality Foundation
- Population estimates by ethnic group (2017) article on methods used to generate estimates published by the Office for National Statistics
- Evandrou, M. et al (2016). Ethnic inequalities in limiting health and self-reported health in later life revisited - published in the Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT)
- Sexual orientation, UK published by the Office for National Statistics - annual bulletin and accompanying data tables providing experimental Official Statistics by region, sex, age, marital status, ethnicity and socio-economic classification
- Subnational sexual identity estimates, UK: 2013 to 2015 (2017) published by the Office for National Statistics - experimental estimates but only for a limited number of local authorities due to sample sizes
- LGBT Information and Advice published by Age UK
- The National LGB&T Partnership - "reducing health inequalities and improving access to health and social care for LGB&T people"
- Older Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans Association (OLGA) - a "voluntary group whose main aim is to support the needs of the older lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans community"
- New models of community are needed to give LGBT+ people a good later life (2019) - article published by the Centre for Ageing Better
- Safe to be me. Meeting the needs of older lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people using health and social care services (2017) published by Age UK - a resource pack for professionals.
- Diversity in older age – Older Lesbian, Gay and Bi-sexual people and Older Transgender people (2016) a rapid review published by the Centre for Policy on Ageing