The following selected resources can be used to provide insight into and support reduction in ageing inequalities, including inequalities experienced by: people from deprived or low income backgrounds; people in coastal and rural areas; people with disabilities; people in black, asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups; and people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT).
- COVID-19: review of disparities in risks and outcomes (2020) report and accompanying data pack published by Public Health England
- COVID-19: public health - see collection of further 'Health Inequalities' resources including 'data tools' to support local areas'. A collaboration between Public Health England, the Local Government Association, Association of Directors of Public Health, NHS England and NHS Improvement.
- Mitigating the wider health effects of covid-19 pandemic response (Douglas,M. et al, 2020) published in the Lancet. Includes a data supplement. (May need to right-click, copy & paste links in a different browser).
- Inequalities in later life published by the Centre for Ageing Better
- Health Equity - collection of resources published by Public Health England
- Inequality Tools published by Public Health England. The Segment Tool can be used to explore the contributions of different causes of death and age groups to inequalities in life expectancy.
- Socioeconomic inequalities in avoidable mortality: England analysis – annual analysis published by the Office for National Statistics
- Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) Health and Wellbeing Alliance - "a partnership between voluntary sectors and the health and care system to provide a voice and improve the health and wellbeing for all communities" (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in a different browser)
- In Focus: Experiences of Older Age in England (2020) - report and further resources focussing on the experiences of specific groups of older people (low income, BAME, carers, without children, physical health, mental health) published by Independent Age
- Health Equity in England: The Marmot Review 10 Years On (2020) published by the Health Foundation
- Health inequalities in ageing in rural and coastal areas (2019) - an evidence summary published by Public Health England
- Health inequalities: place-based approaches to reduce inequalities (2019) - guidance published by Public Health England
- A different age: A snapshot of diverse later lives (2019) published by the International Longevity Centre UK
- Palliative and end of life care: hospital deaths 2006 to 2017 (2019) published by Public Health England
- Deaths in people aged 75 years and older in England in 2017 (2019) published by Public Health England
- Health Matters: Ambitions to tackle persisting inequalities in cardiovascular disease (2019) published by Public Health England
- Health Profile for England 2018 - Chapter 5: inequalities in health (2018) published by Public Health England
- PHE Screening’s inequalities strategy (2018) published by Public Health England
- Inequalities Matter (2018) published by the International Longevity Centre UK
- Guidance - Health inequalities: reducing inequalities in local areas (2017) published by Public Health England
- Inequalities in later life: The issue and the implications for policy and practice (2017) published by the Centre for Ageing Better
- Local action on health inequalities: Increasing employment opportunities and retention for older people (2014) published by Public Health England and UCL Institute of Health Equity
- See also the carers section
Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- COVID-19: understanding the impact on BAME communities (2020) published by Public Health England
- Ethnicity facts and figures - including data on various health topics and wider determinants of health published by the Race Disparity Unit
- UK population by ethnicity published by the Office for National Statistics. National and Regional populations. Age breakdowns provided for England and Wales.
- Example option to request age and ethnicity breakdowns of population at local authority level from the Office for National Statistics
- NHS Race and Health Observatory - announcement May 2020 of the creation of a new research centre to investigate the impact of race and ethnicity on people’s health, to be hosted by the NHS Confederation (may need to right-click, copy & paste link in a different browser)
- Race Disparity Unit - part of the Cabinet Office with a role to "collect, analyse and publish government data on the experiences of people from different ethnic backgrounds" and "support government departments in driving change where disparities are found".
- Race Equality Foundation - "seek to explore discrimination and disadvantage, and use that knowledge to help overcome barriers and promote race equality in health, housing and social care"
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) related deaths by ethnic group, England and Wales: 2 March 2020 to 10 April 2020 (2020) published by the Office for National Statistics
- Ethnicity and COVID-19: an urgent public health research priority (Pareek, M. et al, 2020) - correspondence published in the Lancet
- In Focus: Experiences of BAME older people (2020) published by Independent Age
- Guidance - Health inequalities: reducing ethnic inequalities (2018) published by Public Health England
- Dementia and black and minority ethnic carers (2018) published by the Race Equality Foundation
- Dementia and end of life care for black, Asian and minority ethnic communities (2018) published by the Race Equality Foundation
- Population estimates by ethnic group (2017) article on methods used to generate estimates published by the Office for National Statistics
- Evandrou, M. et al (2016). Ethnic inequalities in limiting health and self-reported health in later life revisited - published in the Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)
- Sexual orientation, UK: 2017 (2019) published by the Office for National Statistics - experimental Official Statistics by region, sex, age, marital status, ethnicity and socio-economic classification
- Subnational sexual identity estimates, UK: 2013 to 2015 (2017) published by the Office for National Statistics - experimental estimates but only for a limited number of local authorities due to sample sizes
- LGBT Information and Advice published by Age UK
- The National LGB&T Partnership - "reducing health inequalities and improving access to health and social care for LGB&T people"
- Older Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans Association (OLGA) - a "voluntary group whose main aim is to support the needs of the older lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans community"
- New models of community are needed to give LGBT+ people a good later life (2019) - article published by the Centre for Ageing Better
- Safe to be me. Meeting the needs of older lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people using health and social care services (2017) published by Age UK - a resource pack for professionals.
- Diversity in older age – Older Lesbian, Gay and Bi-sexual people and Older Transgender people (2016) a rapid review published by the Centre for Policy on Ageing