Built and natural environment
Get in touch. We will continue to develop this page. If you have examples of practice in reducing the impact of the wider determinants on health outcomes that you would like to share on this page, please get in touch at ProfileFeedback@phe.gov.uk.
View Public Health England's Healthy Places team work programme, designed to support the development of healthy places and homes.
Data, information & analysis
The links below will take you to resources that offer complementary detail or functionality to inform decision making on the wider determinants of health.
- Local Health: health information at a small area (MSOA) level, PHE.
- Ward level geography: Overcrowding (2011 census) [.xlsx file], ONS.
- Ward level geography: Density of fast food outlets (2014), PHE.
- LSOA level geography: Access to Healthy Assets and Hazards (AHAH) Index, mapping of the AHAH index, sub-domains and individual indicators, CDRC.
- LSOA level geography: Fuel poverty (2014, includes higher level geography), DECC.
- SHAPE: Strategic Health Asset Planning and Evaluation, PHE, NHS.
- Propensity to Cycle Tool.
- Transport Statistics Great Britain 2016, DfT.
- Road accidents and safety statistics, DfT.
- The Environment and Health Atlas for England and Wales, MRC, PHE, ICL.
- Data sources to support local services tackling health risks of cold homes, PHE.
- English Housing Survey: annual reports and data (at national level) on a variety of housing topics, DCLG.
- Annual Report of the Chief Medical Officer 2017: Health Impacts of All Pollution – what do we know?
- Air pollution: a tool to estimate healthcare costs, PHE.
- ORVal: Outdoor Recreation Valuation tool, University of Exeter.
The links below will hopefully help you to take further action to reduce the impact of the wider determinants on health outcomes. The resources in the list include ideas, interventions and examples of good practice from a wide variety of sources.
- Spatial Planning for Health: An evidence resource for planning and designing healthier places, PHE.
- Planning Healthier Places: report from the reuniting health with planning project, TCPA.
- Public Health in Planning: Good Practice Guidance, TCPA/London Borough of Merton.
- Building the foundations: tackling obesity through planning and development, LGA, PHE, TCPA.
- A guide to town planning for health organisations and A guide to the healthcare system in England for local planning authorities, DH.
- Healthy Urban Planning Checklist, NHS (and partners).
- Healthy New Towns project, NHS.
- The Place Standard, NHS Scotland, Scottish Gov't.
- Age-Friendly Cities Liverpool study, NIHR.
- International WELL Building Institute.
Natural and sustainable environments
- Improving Access to Green Spaces, PHE, IHE.
- Visits to urban Greenspaces (2009-2016), Natural England.
- Physical activity and the environment, NICE.
- Health and Environmental Impact Assessment: guide for local teams, PHE.
- Waterways and wellbeing, Canal & River Trust.
- Air pollution: outdoor air quality and health (guidance), PHE, NICE.
- Health matters: air pollution, a summary of health matters associated with air pollution and links to further resources, PHE.
- Improving health through the home: guidance and resources on the health and home relationship, PHE.
- Fuel poverty and cold home-related health problems, PHE, IHE.
- Cold Homes Toolkit, Citizens Advice.
- The cost of poor housing to the NHS, Housing LIN.
- Housing for Health: a resource for strategic leads in general practice, primary care and clinical commissioning, NHS Alliance.
- Homes for Health, CIEH, PHE.
- Impact of the housing workforce on health outcomes, SITRA, PHE.