Key national & international sources
The following selected 'Data tools', 'Publications', 'UK websites' and 'International websites' provide an overview of issues and guidance relevant to healthy ageing, including addressing the impact of COVID-19:
- COVID-19: impacts on health - reports and tools - including the Wider Impacts of COVID-19 on Health (WICH) monitoring tool providing a wide range of national indicators by age group - published by Public Health England
- Subnational ageing tool displaying variations in current and projected data at local, region and national level relating to populations, living alone, employment and life expectancy published by the Office for National Statistics
- Projecting Older People Population Information (POPPI) System - population estimates and projections at national, regional and local authority level for age groups over age 65 and by gender, ethnic group, living/housing status, support arrangement, health condition and learning disability. Published by Oxford Brookes University and the Institute of Public Care.
- Projecting Adult Needs & Service Information (PANSI) - population estimates and projections at national, regional and local authority level for ages 18-64, including age groups 45-54 & 55-64, and by gender, ethnic group, learning disability, physical disability and mental health condition. Published as above.
- Global Burden of Diseases (GBD) data visualisation tool - international comparative data down to England local authority level by age group, including 50-69 and 70+, sex and year, showing the relative contributions of risks to and causes of death and disability, published by the University of Washington based on international collaboration. The Lancet GBD Resource Centre provides accompanying papers and infographics.
- See the other topic-based Further Resources sections and also the International Organsation Websites section below for more data sources
- Healthy Ageing Knowledge Hub facilitated by Public Health England - for those interested in healthy ageing to share knowledge and keep up-to-date with latest news, events and resources (step1: register with KHub, step2: search Groups for 'Healthy Ageing', step3: apply to join group)
- Health and wellbeing at home - Advice and resources for everyone spending more time indoors published by Public Health England
- COVID-19: public health - links to key resources on the Local Government Association website, including publications by Public Health England
- Analytical Collaboration for COVID-19 - analytical support to the health and care system from: the Health Foundation; King’s Fund; Nuffield Trust; and two specialist NHS analytical teams, Imperial College Health Partners and the Strategy Unit
- Office for National Statistics - 'Ageing' - links to data and publications including population estimates and the 'Living Longer' series
- Centre for Ageing Better - an independent charitable foundation funded by an endowment from the National Lottery Community Fund. Part of the network of 'What Works' organisations that promote the better use of evidence. Links to a wide range of resources.
- Age UK - "The country's largest charity dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life. We provide companionship, advice and support for older people who need it most." Links to a wide range of resources.
- Independent Age - a charity founded over 150 years ago. Offers "regular friendly contact... a strong campaigning voice… and impartial advice"
- Age Action Alliance - brings together "older people and cross sector organisations to work together to celebrate the opportunities and address the challenges of our ageing demographics"
- Local Government Association - Ageing society - links to a wide range of resources
- NHS England - Older People - how the NHS is improving care and supporting older people to look after their own health
- National Institue for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) - Older People - links to NICE guidance, advice, pathways and quality standards specifically relating to older people
- British Medical Association - Healthy Ageing - links to a range of resources
- British Geriatrics Society - "the membership association for professionals specialising in the healthcare of older people across the UK"
- Centres for Ageing Research - maintained by Age UK. Links to university and other research centres, consortia, councils, and funding programmes that focus on ageing issues.
- Centre for Policy on Ageing (Nuffield Foundation)
- International Longevity Centre (ILC) - UK
- Biobank - a longitudinal study
- All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Longevity
- All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Ageing and Older People
- Govt. Office for Science: Future of Ageing
- Design Council - Transform Ageing
International organisation websites