Work and the labour market
Get in touch. We will continue to develop this page. If you have examples of practice in reducing the impact of the wider determinants on health outcomes that you would like to share on this page, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Data, information & analysis
The links below will take you to resources that offer complementary detail or functionality to inform decision making on the wider determinants of health.
- Local Health: health information at a small area (MSOA) level, PHE.
- SHAPE: Strategic Health Asset Planning and Evaluation, PHE, NHS.
- nomis: official labour market statistics, University of Durham, ONS.
- Local Authority level Employment Support Allowance split by Primary Condition.
- National level Work related ill-health and occupational disease, HSE.
- National level description of sickness absence in the labour market, ONS.
- National level 'Health and work: infographics', PHE.
- Movement into employment: return on investment tool, PHE.
- Flexibility for Who? Millennials and Mental Health in the Modern Labour Market, IPPR, BITC.
The links below will hopefully help you to take further action to reduce the impact of the wider determinants on health outcomes. The resources in the list include ideas, interventions and examples of good practice from a wide variety of sources.
Health in the workplace
- Workplace health needs assessment, PHE.
- Workplace health: long-term sickness absence and incapacity to work, NICE.
- Workplace health: management practices, NICE.
- Occupational health: the value proposition, and workplace occupational health leaflets, SOM.
- Quantifying the effectiveness of interventions for people with common health conditions in enabling them to stay in or return to work, DWP.
- Musculoskeletal health toolkit for employers, Business in the Community, PHE.
- Mental health toolkit for employers, Business in the Community, PHE.
- Suicide prevention and suicide postvention toolkits for employers, Business in the Community, PHE.
Labour market inequality and employment support
- Health, work and health related worklessness: a guide for local authorities, LGA, PHE.
- Mass Unemployment Events (MUEs): Prevention and Response from a Public Health Perspective, PHW.
- Local action on health inequalities: Increasing employment opportunities and improving workplace health, PHE, IHE.
- Local action on health inequalities: Promoting good quality jobs to reduce health inequalities, PHE, IHE.
- Local action on health inequalities: Reducing the number of young people not in employment, education or training (NEET), PHE, IHE.